Ask yourself this simple question, “Would you put your life in the hands of a doctor who is following the same methods and using the same treatments and medicine he was using 20 years ago?”
You may be wondering what this has got to do with financial advice and the modern financial adviser?
After a doctor, the next most important person in your life is your financial adviser. There is no point in being healthy and running out of money. If that’s the case, then it is important that you have a financial adviser that is staying as up to date about their industry developments and improvements as you would expect doctors to be about theirs?
The industry is changing faster now than it ever has, which is why you need to ensure you have a financial adviser that is doing the same.
So, what exactly is a ‘Modern Financial Adviser’, and why is it important for you as a client?
- A Modern Financial Adviser collaborates with you through technology. In today’s fast paced and evolving world, technology makes the financial planning journey much more interactive, dynamic, accessible and conversational. A modern adviser keeps up to date with technology and provides you with the tools you need to access your financial affairs anytime, anywhere. This makes it easier for you to stay organised and make better informed decisions. You can even host quick online meetings with your adviser, which makes your life easier, especially if you’re trying to juggle a busy schedule. An adviser that has not adopted a technology strategy may not survive in the coming years.
- A Modern Financial Adviser is familiar with all financial products. It is not good enough anymore to have an adviser that is only able to advise you on Unit Trusts and Shares. One bank last year took in more money in Structured Products than the Unit Trust industry grew net from 2016. With changing regulations like Basel III, the banks are willing to pay up for deposits creating great payoff profiles for Structured Products. Wouldn’t you want to invest where you can have certainty about your outcome with your capital guaranteed? Some advisers will cite their experience and talk these down. The modern advisers are willing to embrace change and enhancements, rather than trying to justify the status quo based on outdated experience. This is just a tiny example of what is available and what you should expect of your financial adviser. In fact, you deserve to be informed of all the latest and exciting product offerings in the industry, and certainly not limited to only one product house!
- A Modern Financial Adviser should give you Peace of Mind. In the new world of tech, the personal touch of your adviser will become even more valuable. A modern adviser understands that you are paying for peace of mind, and not products. You are paying for the service you receive from your adviser and like the doctor whose business is based on healing, you should leave feeling better or with better prospects than when you arrived.
- A Modern Financial Adviser truly wants to make a difference in your life. If you get the sense that your financial adviser is only in it for the money, or just trying to ‘sell’ you something, then they certainly won’t be in business for much longer. This industry is for people who genuinely care about the future of others, and who are looking to partner with you for the long term.
- A Modern Financial Adviser is Independent. You cannot receive unbiased advice from an adviser who is not independent. These advisers are required to sell the products of the company who employed them. It’s a bit like a pharmaceutical rep playing doctor! Always make sure to go with the adviser that is truly independent; these advisers are steering the industry in the right direction.
The Modern Financial Adviser is constantly seeking to learn and stay relevant and is ultimately driven by their passion to serve clients with honesty and integrity, always keeping their clients’ best interests at heart!